Sunday, November 27, 2011

Chestnut toucan sketch of the day...



I believe this little guy is a chestnut toucan. What I can not believe is the size of toucans' beaks! They're amazing. Even though I've seen them in real life, they don't even look real to me, I thought they looked more like something an artist had created in 3d max than something real... I was curious and googled as to why their beaks are so large, there were numerous theories but nothing definite. With many birds, showy colors have to do with mating rituals; however, this is not the case with toucans as both genders share the same bright colors. One theory was temperature control, another to reach fruit where other birds could not, another had to do with their young, etc...

In any case, this is my Daily Animal Doodles Project inspired sketch of the day.

4 comments:

Maša said...

I like that you include some interesting trivia with your animals. :)

Lisabella Russo said...

Hi Masa, thank you! I usually don't but I was fascinated by the toucan's amazing beaks...

Maša said...

well, I love reading your blog because you always express your fascination so beautifully. :)

Lisabella Russo said...

Thank you so much Masa!