Sunday, December 29, 2013

Master Study Sketch of "The Cicada" by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot...



"The Cicada" by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot is one of my favorite paintings at the Norton Simon Museum.  Whenever I go there, I consider myself very fortunate to have the opportunity to see it.  It occured to me that it has been a while since I've painted a master study.  This is a rough sketch of Corot's original painting that I photographed whilst visiting the museum.  I've decided in my version, more of her hair will be down.  Seeing them side by side, I realize that I definitely need to focus on her hands and redraw them, in this sketch they are tiny!  While I know that I will never capture the beauty of this master painting myself, I feel that painting a master study allows me to see into the original more deeply and learn from the experience.


To view more Sunday Sketches, please visit:
http://www.bluechairdiaryillustrations.com/

10 comments:

DVArtist said...

Yes you are fortunate to be able to visit such a wonderful place. I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Some how I know it will be beautiful.
Nicole/Beadwright

Christine said...

good luck with those hands, not an easy thing!

Ginny said...

I enjoy visiting your blog so much. As soon as the blog opens, I find myself in such a peaceful place and I always learn something new.

Thank you for sharing both pieces of wonderful art with me today.

GalleryJuana said...

I love how your individual drawing style comes through the inspiration of the original.

Out of Sight L said...

You are so gifted Lisa Isabella!

Alexandra MacVean said...

Very beautiful sketch, Lisa. I LOVE this! One of your best, yet. :)

Lisabella Russo said...

Thanks so very, very much Nicole, Christine, Ginny, Juana, Jiten, Lorraine, and Alexandra!

stefanie stark said...

It's a wonderful idea to paint this lady and I am looking forward how she will turn out.

Magic Love Crow said...

So very pretty Lisa, can't wait to see this one finished ;o) Happy New Year ;o)

Anonymous said...

Lovely drawing: great job :-)