Monday, December 30, 2013

Sogetsu Ikebana Japanese Flower Arrangements at Descanso Gardens Part I & Unicorn WIP

On one of my visits to Descanso Gardens, they had a show of Sogetsu Ikebana.  It is a Japanese art of flower arranging.  The emphasis is on expressing the spirit of the moment.  I found the arrangements beautiful and compelling.  These pieces were contributed by the group Yokou.  Here are some of my favorites.  I especially liked the pieces with birds of paradise in them, but there were so many wonderful pieces!  This is part I of II.  Edit: Part II is here.








I am linking this post with Inspire Me Monday


Here is a work in progress view of my unicorn painting inspired by a photograph by Shawn Parker.  I am getting close to finishing it.  I need to paint the mane and then I feel the horn could be lighter, but that depends on how it looks once I've painted in the mane.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

such inspiration, floral and your art!

Abby / Linda said...

Ah . . . Descanso Gardens! I have spent many a happy hour there in years past! Actually had one of my first dates there with my hubby! Anyway, lovely flower art! Thanks for sharing it and bringing back memories!

Christine said...

love the ikebana style! And your unicorn's coming along so nicely.

Magic Love Crow said...

First of all, your unicorn is so beautiful!! A+++ The flower arrangements are amazing! Wow! Happy New Year ;o)

Lisabella Russo said...

Thanks so much Laurie, Abby / Linda, Christine, and Stacy!