Sunday, October 2, 2016

Inktober October 2, Sketches Daily, Seashell Sketch Art...


It looks like Alex and I will be attending the tail end of the closing party for the Coaster Show today.  Additional details for the show are here.



Here is a sketch of some seashells.  They are in a small sketchbook that measures 3.5x5.5 inches.  The sketchbook I was using bled through and the sketches are visible behind and in front. I'm trying to uses this sketchbook for a different challenge, but I don't think the inking is working for me at this time...  I think I'm going to start with colored pencil sketches, but I'm going to start from scratch when an identical sketchbook arrives and just use this one for practice until then.  I'm unsure if I'll paint the shells or not, but I did enjoy sketching them.


I've decided to try and do a sketch a day in October.  This is day 2.   I was attempting Inktober, but I think that my second sketch will be my last inked sketch, perhaps next year I'll be able to do this challenge. The goal is to share 31 inked sketches in the month of October. To learn more about the challenge, please click here.

This is a rough sketch that has been inked.  You may see some of my finished paintings at lisarusso.com if you'd like.

I am also participating in Sunday Sketches.  To view more Sunday Sketches, please visit:

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

The shells are beautiful. I love picking up shells along the Rhine, but they are not as nice as yours. Have a good week, hugs, Valerie

Jennifer Rose said...

did you use the bleed through for the pattern on the other shell?

Anonymous said...

Just sells, yet there is something more

DVArtist said...

Hi Lisa. I really like the way these shells turned out. There is a mystery to them. I wanted to join Inktober but I am not an ink artists. Thanks to your post I did join in on Sunday Sketches. Hope your day is going well.

Christine said...

Beautiful seashells have fun at the show!

Magic Love Crow said...

Your shells are beautiful Lisa! Too bad it went on to the other page, but it has a cool affect! Have fun at the show!

Serena Lewis said...

Lovely seashell sketches, Lisa! Some papers aren't suited for ink unfortunately. You could always put a backing sheet behind the page you are inking and then just continue to use the right-side (Recto) page throughout the book. Of course, that leaves the left (Verso) page unused. Some artists are okay with that. I'm participating in INKtober so, hopefully, you will join in next year. In the meantime, I'll look forward to your daily October sketches.

Have a lovely week ~ :)

Lux G. said...

You're good at this.

baili said...

sea shells are so fascinating .glad you shared dear

NatureFootstep said...

love your sketches.
I have never done ink so I can´t join in that linkup. But I can watch and learn :)

Lisabella Russo said...

Thanks very much! I did incorporate the bleed through pattern on the other shell, but while I put a backing paper behind when I inked this time, I'm just not fond of the effect. So, back to regular pencil sketches for a while...

Alexandra MacVean said...

Hope the show went well! It was lovely to see some different sketching for you. Your seashells are wonderful. :)

Lisabella Russo said...

Thanks Alexandra, there's something very wonderful about seashells...