Wednesday, May 11, 2016

My Photograph of a Red Poppy at Descanso Gardens + May Sketches Art, Day 11 100th Sketch, Fairy Angel...



I took this photograph of this red poppy at Descanso Gardens.  At least I think it's a poppy, it has the same kind of core and stems, but it's fluffier than any I have seen before.  Prior to this year, I had seen only Icelandic poppies and California poppies.  This year was my first year seeing in person some of the red ones I have so loved from Georgia O'Keefe's paintings... I hope that you will enjoy this photo!


I love to paint flowers, you may see some of my finished paintings at www.lisarusso.com if you'd like.


Here is a sketch of a big eyed gothic maiden.  I knew I wanted to sketch her, but my reference was fairly small and I couldn't quite make out what was going on with her hat.  Then I realized I wanted it to be a birdcage hat, obviously the cage is too small for the bird to live in and she is merely transporting the bird, but I thought it was fun conceptually...  I think she is most likely a fairy angel, although she could also be an mermaid or a goddess.  I'm unsure if I'll paint her or not, but I did enjoy sketching her.


I've decided to try and do a sketch a day in May.  This is day 11.  I believe this is my 100th consecutive sketch!

This is a rough sketch.

9 comments:

Victoria said...

She is truly gorgeous and inspiring! I love her hat, magnificent! All of your art always carries a magical-powerful vibe for me..I love that feeling! Oh my..stunning poppy...love the color..very rich and deeply mysterious!
Have a gorgeous day my friend!
Victoria

Anonymous said...

such a beautiful poppy and I love the bird cage hat,, how cool is that!!

Anonymous said...

Here is woman, who demands honesty...
As beautiful as a poppy

Christine said...

Lovely red poppy. Cute sketch with the bird cagehat

Jennifer Rose said...

pretty poppy :)i have to put my poppy seeds in the border and they spread like weeds but are so pretty :)

cute cage hat :)

Lisabella Russo said...

Thanks so very much Victoria, Laurie, Martin, Christine, and Jennifer!

Magic Love Crow said...

The poppy is so beautiful and I love the birdcage hat!!!

sandy said...

adorable!

Lisabella Russo said...

Thanks very much Stacy and Sandy!